top of page
  • Writer's pictureWGON

Paul Pelosi attacker sentenced to 30 years in federal prison

David DePape, the man convicted of breaking into Nancy Pelosi’s home and attacking her husband Paul Pelosi with a hammer, has been sentenced to 30 years in federal prison. 

According to ABC News, federal prosecutors were seeking a 40-year sentence for DePape’s conviction on charges of attempted kidnapping of a federal officer or employee and assault of an immediate family member of a federal official.  

Prosecutors wrote in a sentencing memorandum, "The defendant planned a violent hostage-taking of the Speaker Emerita, and then nearly killed her husband.  The defendant planned and unleashed violence and has stayed true to his belief that the actions were necessary." 

"The violent lessons that the defendant wanted to teach are not permitted in this country, and the sentence that this court imposes must reflect the nature and circumstances of the offense," prosecutors said. 

DePape is also facing state charges, with his trial with his trial for the charges beginning on May 22.

DePape was convicted in November 2023. Testifying at the trial, Paul Pelosi said he woke on the night of the attack when "the door opened and a very large man came in with a hammer in one hand and some ties in the other hand. He said 'where’s Nancy' and that woke me up."

DePape, Pelosi said, was around 2-4 feet away from him when he woke up.

He said it was a "tremendous shock to realize someone broke into the house … I recognized that I was in serious danger … I tried to stay calm as possible."

Authorities said DePape broke in through a rear glass door of the Pelosi home.

Pelosi testified that DePape allegedly said he would tie up Pelosi while they waited for Nancy Pelosi’s return from Washington DC.

Pelosi said he was able to get his cell phone and call from the bathroom, but his phone was snatched away. He said his best chance to survive was to meet the responding police downstairs, telling DePape, "Since all your stuff is downstairs why don’t we go downstairs, you can tie me up and you can get some sleep."

Pelosi said he reached for DePape’s hand when police arrived, the hand which held the hammer, before he was pushed away and struck in the head. The next thing he remembered was waking up in a pool of blood and being taken to the hospital in an ambulance. Police bodycam footage captured the attack.

0 views0 comments


bottom of page