top of page

US begins full withdrawal of troops from Syria

  • Writer: WGON
    WGON
  • 7 hours ago
  • 2 min read

The US military has started pulling all of its roughly 1,000 troops out of Syria, officials confirmed, ending more than a decade of American military involvement in the country.



Two officials said US forces have already left the Al Tanf garrison at the Syria-Jordan-Iraq border and the Al-Shaddadi base in northeast Syria. Troops are expected to depart from remaining locations over the next two months Wall Street Journal reports.



Officials emphasized the withdrawal is separate from the US’s current buildup of naval and air forces near Iran, which is positioned for potential strikes if nuclear talks fail. Iran has warned of retaliatory attacks against American forces in the region.



A senior administration official cited the near-total disbandment of the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) as a key factor in the decision.



The SDF, the US’s primary partner against Islamic State over the past decade, has largely integrated into Syrian government forces following a cease-fire in January.



Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa’s troops captured much of the Kurdish-held territory in a rapid offensive last month.



The Trump administration also aims to strengthen its diplomatic footprint in Syria after Sharaa overthrew Bashar al-Assad in late 2024.



Secretary of State Marco Rubio met with Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani last week to secure support for counterterrorism operations and maintain the SDF cease-fire.



Officials said the withdrawal also reduces the risk of confrontations with Sharaa’s army, which reportedly includes elements sympathetic to extremist groups and has been accused of past abuses against Kurdish and Druze communities.



In December, two US soldiers and a civilian interpreter were killed by a member of Syrian security forces linked to Islamic extremism.


 
 
 

Recent Posts

See All
Trump to Preside Over 1st Meeting of Board of Peace

( NewsMax ) President Donald Trump will preside over the first meeting of his Board of Peace on Thursday with unresolved questions on the future of Gaza hanging over an event expected to include repre

 
 
 

Comments


bottom of page